Wednesday 20 July 2011

VNC problems in ubuntu?

I've been using VNC to remote access my two Ubuntu Natty Narwhal machines, and having terrible trouble - the VNC screen not updating, to controlling properly, etc.

It looks like the 3D and special effects play havoc with the VNC server - not displaying properly, etc.

Try using
gdmsetup
- the 'login settings' manager under the administration menu, or go to the top-right switch icon and and click System Settings, then 'Login Screen'.

Enter your admin password, then select 'Ubuntu Classic (No effects)' as the default session. Reboot or logout/login.

This changes ubuntu to use the standard gnome menubar and disables the 3d and animation effects.
I found that VNC worked much better with the classic menu and desktop effects off :-).

1 comment:

Bill said...

You, my friend, are a steely-eyed missile man. I've been trying to fix this for 4 hours and came across this post. Thank You!!!